When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do
you try to resist biases toward your own point of view? This assignment
asks you to engage in this aspect of critical thinking.
The assignment is divided into two (2) parts.
Part I of the assignment (due Week 2), you read a book excerpt about
critical thinking processes, reviewed the Procon.org Website in order to
gather information, and engaged in prewriting to examine your thoughts.
* Remember that in the Week 2 Discussion, you examined the biases discussed in Chapter 2 of the webtext.
In Part II of the assignment (due Week 4), you will write a paper to synthesize your ideas.
Part II – Writing
Write at three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
1. State your position on the topic you selected for Assignment 1.1.
Identify (3) three premises (reasons) from the Procon.org website that
support your position and explain why you selected these specific
3. Explain your answers to the “believing” questions about
the three (3) premises opposing your position from the Procon.org
4. Examine at least two (2) types of biases that you likely
experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your
5. Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group identification that may have influenced your biases.
Discuss whether or not your thinking about the topic has changed after
playing the “Believing Game,” even if your position on the issue has
stayed the same.
The topic must be about abortion.