Assignment 1: Essay
Write a three to four (3-4) paragraph essay (250 words minimum) which analyzes
the “surprise ending” of the reading selection.
- Reading selection from Descartes’ Discourse on the
Method (Part IV). Descartes begins with a proof of one basic
conclusion and ends with a proof of something much grander. Remember to
focus on the surprise and point of realization, not the details of the philosophical
argument. Read Part IV of the Discourse on the Method located at http://www.earlymoderntexts.com/assets/pdfs/descartes1637.pdf (then scroll down to Part 4, pp. 14-18). This is only
four or five (4 or 5) pages of the larger work.
For the reading selection you
- Clearly state in your own words the “surprise ending”
in the reading you selected. Clearly identify the point in the reading
when you realized that there were elements in the reading that surprised
you. Not all of the surprises come at the end.
- Evaluate how successful the author was in convincing
you to accept the validity of the “surprise ending” that was different
from what you expected.
Your assignment must follow these
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font
(size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references
must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional
instructions. (Note: Students can find APA style materials located in the
Additional Resources section of their Student Center within their course
shell for reference)
- Include a cover page containing the title of the
assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title,
and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.
- Use the source(s) identified above for the topic you
choose, focusing on the main primary source of that author. You may use
additional sources also if they are of good academic quality for college
papers (Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify). Use proper APA
style in-text citing and also a matching APA style References list at the
The specific course learning
outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic
contributions contribute to historical changes.
- Explain the importance of situating a society’s
cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context.
- Examine the influences of intellectual, religious,
political, and socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic
- Identify major historical developments in world
cultures from the Renaissance to the contemporary period.
- Use technology and information resources to research
issues in the study of world cultures.
- Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using
proper writing mechanics.
Note:I request for a fresh work
because the essay will be check for plagiarism.