Create a brochure to be introduced at curriculum night to promote literacy in the home and serve as a resource for families, informing them of the different texts and writing materials that will be implemented as part of the class curriculum.
Your brochure should include the process of examining texts and writing strategies, and describe technology tools and digital resources that can be used at home to advance studentsâ€™ literacy development.
Include the following:
- Engaging front cover that identifies the grade level and content area
- The importance of using multiple texts to meet the specific needs and abilities of all students
- Examples of two different types of texts that will be used in the class with brief rationales that describe the complexity and purpose of the text as well as the grouping techniques (e.g. whole group, independent, small group) that will be used to teach each text selection.
- Explanation of how texts are selected for the classroom through both quantitative and qualitative measures
- An example of how writing will be incorporated into the content area
- Two activities families can do at home to help struggling readers and writers (one activity for reading and one activity for writing)
- Two digital tools or resources families can use to support literacy development at home. Include one for reading and one for writing, as well as brief directions of how to use the tools and/or where the families can go to learn how to use the tools.
The brochure should be visually appealing with color, graphic elements, and variations in text.
Support your brochure with a minimum of three scholarly resources.