Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 500-750 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
Compare and contrast the deontological ethical decision-making approach, and the consequentialist ethical decision-making approach. In comparing and contrasting these two approaches, make sure you do the following:
- Briefly explain each of the ethical decision-making approaches;
- Discuss how the two approaches are similar;
- Discuss how the two approaches are different;
- Decide which approach you think is most appropriate, if any, for criminal justice professionals to aid them in making decisions when faced with ethical dilemmas;
- It is possible that one may decide that a particular approach is better suited to a particular segment of criminal justice. For example, one might believe that the deontological approach is better suited for situations involving corrections, or law enforcement, and the consequentialist approach works best with those involved in the parole or probation function. If you believe this to be the case, describe this in detail.