Apply what you have learned about locating, paraphrasing, incorporating, and citing relevant and reliable secondary source information to complete the following Unit 8 Assignment:
By now, you have submitted your Unit 6 Assignment. That draft of an essay analyzes a relevant change in your field of study. You also have received feedback on this essay draft from your instructor and classmates.
You will now use this feedback to substantially revise your Unit 6 academic essay draft to submit as your Unit 8 Assignment.
Your goal is to strengthen the Unit 6 Assignment draft, improve the introduction and conclusion and organization of the draft, as well as to incorporate and cite three to four relevant and reliable secondary sources into the paper using APA format so that you support and further develop your ideas and claims.
Here are the steps to success on the Unit 8 Assignment:
- In Unit 7, learn about reliable and relevant sources and identify three to four sources you can use to strengthen and develop the ideas in your draft. Your Unit 7 Discussion Board will allow you to post a revised paragraph from your draft where you add information from one of the sources you have selected. Then you can work on the other paragraphs in your draft independently to strengthen them.
- In Unit 8, learn about APA citations and how to paraphrase your sources and cite them. In the Unit 8 Discussion Board, you will post another paragraph from your Unit 6 Assignment that you revise to include sources and citations, as well as a practice reference list of all your sources you plan to use in the paper.
- Then, once you receive Discussion Board feedback on your paragraphs and citations, you will revise your Unit 6 Assignment draft fully, to include and cite all source information used, and this will become your Unit 8 Assignment. It is the final version of the paper you began in Units 5 and 6.
Be sure that your Unit 8 Assignment submission:
- Demonstrates that you have substantially revised your Unit 6 Assignment.
- Establishes and develops a clear main point about your topic that is original and insightful.
- Analyzes either the cause or effect of the change you are addressing, without taking a position or writing to persuade.
- Organizes ideas logically and demonstrates paragraph unity and connection of ideas through the use of transition devices.
- Demonstrates that you have strengthened, supported, and developed your ideas through the incorporation of three to four relevant and reliable secondary sources from either the Library or published on the Web.
- Demonstrates that you can paraphrase relevant and reliable source information rather than relying solely on quotes from the sources.
- Applies 6th Edition APA formatting to give credit to all source information and ideas, whether you quote, paraphrase, or summarize these sources.
- Utilizes APA style to format the paper, including the title page, body pages, margins, in-text citations, and references page citations.
- Follows the conventions of Standard American English.
- Is 5–6 paragraphs or 2–2.5 pages long, excluding title page and references page.
Utilize the following 5-minute video from the Writing Center to format the title page of your paper:
Review a sample student Assignment.
Review the Assignment rubric.
Submitting your Unit 8 Assignment:
Remember that you must use Word for this and all projects submitted for this class. When you are ready to submit, select the unit Dropbox. To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it.
A special feature is available to help you with reviewing your Unit 8 Assignment to help prevent plagiarism. When you submit your Assignment to the Unit 8 Dropbox, your Assignment will automatically be analyzed by the plagiarism detection tool, Turnitin. Soon after you submit your Assignment, you will be able to view the Turnitin Originality Report. Originality Reports provide a summary of matching or highly similar text found in a submitted paper. When an Originality Report is available for viewing, an icon will appear in the report column of the Assignment Inbox. Originality Reports are only available in the inbox. For this reason, you will need to download the report prior to the grading of the Unit 8 Assignment. To do this, click on the print icon at the bottom of the Originality Report. This will prepare a readable, PDF version of the Originality Report that you can save to your computer.