You are a counselor in a new youth facility at a local prison. All of the youths are on the mental health caseload. You are in charge of running at least one group therapy and are also in charge of your own caseload in which you engage them in individual counseling. The youths on your caseload need to successfully complete 1 group and at least 8 weeks of individual counseling to gain good days and be able to go home sooner. You need to utilize evidenced-based therapy to illustrate progress not only to your assigned caseload but also to retain your job.
Your boss asks you to see an adolescent client who is considered to be a high risk. This client is a regular at the local mental health crisis unit. He threatens suicide, but his cuts are superficial and not life threatening.
Address the following:
- Give 2 types of evidenced-based therapeutic interventions open to this client, and explain how you would utilize them. What type of therapy do you suggest as the best recommendation for this client to attend?
- Provide a description of 2 benefits and 1 drawback that each evidenced-based therapeutic intervention provides. How might your client react to this assistance, and how might you convince him to try therapy?
You should cite sources using APA format, and include a reference section at the end of your submission.
3 page presentation; 5-6 paragraphs Q&A Responses
At the new veteran’s agency your boss wants you to put together a presentation on life skills to promote client knowledge, skills and attitudes that contribute to positive change in substance abuse behavior. This presentation will be given at a group meeting he is planning for the agency to promote individual counseling for clients with substance abuse disorders.
Organize your presentation notes covering the following:
- 3-4 substance abuse behaviors you will address
- 3-4 basic life skills that substance abusers may find helpful
- 3-4 concepts regarding knowledge, skills and attitudes that will contribute to positive change (3-4 total not per category)
At the end of the presentation, there will be a Q&A with the clients as a way to get the clients to interact with your presentation so they think about what you have to offer them.
The following are sample questions that you could ask of the clients. Prepare two more questions and write 2-3 sentences of the responses you anticipate for each of the four questions.
- What behaviors have worked positively for you in the past?
- What behaviors have worked negatively for you in the past?