Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
George is a college student in North Carolina. Every weekend, he drives into Georgia to visit his family. George’s family is well-respected and are influential members of their community. They are wealthy enough to give George a good education and supply him with an upscale, flashy, and expensive automobile.
George is very religious, has extremely high ethics, but is also an eccentric and unique individual. He does not follow the trends in clothing or personal presentation. He has long hair, a flashy car, and wears “hippie” attire. Every time he travels through the northern counties of Georgia, he is either stopped by the Georgia Highway Patrol or the local sheriff’s office. They stop him because he fits the profile of a drug dealer.
The Georgia Highway Patrol and the local sheriff’s office have policies and procedures pertaining to drug trafficking. The highway that George is traveling is known as a “drug pipeline.”
- Do you think these repetitive stops are reasonable? Why or why not?
- What would be the reasoning behind the stops? Explain.
- If these stops are based on policy and procedure in your state (Maryland), what would the major in the Georgia Highway Patrol and the sheriff of the local county say to officers who did not stop George? Explain.
- If the patrol had a field training officer (FTO), and you were a new recruit, how would you react if the FTO said “just skip him”?
On his last trip home, George passed a large city, and the highway patrol stopped him. This officer carried tools and a battery-powered screwdriver. He proceeded to take George’s car apart, piece by piece. When he did not find drugs, this officer just drove off, leaving George stranded. It was found that this officer just received a commendation for the highest amount of drug busts on this highway.
- Should he be put up as an example of a good leader to follow for other drug officers? Why or why not? Explain your rationale.
Support your answers with scholarly sources and research into the laws and policies of your state (Maryland).