For this assignment, you will drafting a project scope document and a work breakdown structure and a preliminary estimate report. A scope document template is provided for you, and you will find some examples of work breakdown structures in your reading and in the instructor perspective folder this week.
This assignment is directly linked to the following key learning outcomes from the course syllabus:
- Preparing a scope statement
- Creating a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Using top-down and bottom-up processes to estimate project times, costs, and resources
In addition to these key learning outcomes, you will also have the opportunity to evidence the following skills through completing this assignment:
- Critical thinking
- Professional writing
- Problem solving
For this assignment, you will be using the attached case study (see attached W3_CaseStudy_A-J or W3_CaseStudy_K-Z) to prepare a project scope document and work breakdown structure and estimate report. Specific templates with instructions have been provided for the scope document (see attached Wk3_ScopeTemplate). Here are a few notes on each element of the assignment:
The case study is a continuation of the case study from the previous week. You will see two options attached. Please note the following carefully:
- If your last name begins with a letter between A – J, please use the W3_CaseStudy_A-J.
- In this case study, you will be using internal resources to execute the project
- If your last name begins with a letter between K – Z, please use the W3_CaseStudy_K-Z.
- In this case study, you will be using external resources to execute the project.
You are still part of a team who is executing a training project for your organization. As noted above, the key difference between the two case studies is whether or not you are using internal or external resources to execute the training within the project. You will use this case study to finalize and create a Scope Document, Work Breakdown Structure, and provide a report related to your estimates. Please see detailed instructions for each individual component below.
Please note that you will be submitting three separate files for this assignment. The submission links are below this item.
Submission 1: Scope Document
The first submission is the scope document. Please use the attached template for completing the scope document. In the attached Week 3 Case Study, I have provided you with some relevant instructions and information. Also, you template includes specific instructions for each section. Use the Week 2 Case Study and your submission from last week in conjunction with this week’s Case Study to complete this document. Also, make sure you take the time to review the attached Week 3 Assignment Rubric for guidance.
Submission 2: Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
Your second submission is a WBS that captures the full scope contained in the Week 2 – 3 case study and assignment documents, as well as the new material provided in Week 3. Your WBS should be created in Microsoft Excel, and you can submit it as either an Excel file or as a .pdf. Here are a few specifics to be sure to follow when creating it:
- Captures full scope of project
- Deliverables oriented — does not include any activities
- Uses the adjective / noun format for all deliverables
- Captures the relevant project management oriented deliverables and management processes
- Contains 25 – 40 lines of detail
- Decomposes the project to at least two levels of deliverables, at a minimum
- Contains a WBS code (1.0, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc.)
Submission 3: Preliminary Estimates Report
Your final component of this week’s assignment is a preliminary estimates report. In the attached Wk3 Case Study, I have provided specific details for each of the components you are to cover (cost, time, and resources). Be sure to provide a rational for the estimating methods / techniques used. In order to do well on this section, be sure to format the submission in a professional manner, make good use of title headers, and include tables to convey appropriate information, along with relevant explanatory content. Remember that this is not an academic report, so it should be formated as a business report. Therefore, it should be single-spaced, not double-spaced. However, if you do cite any outside material for any reason, you should provide an appropriate citation.
Below are some key guidelines you will want to ensure you follow in all three elements of this assignment. Think of this short list as a quality control checklist, along with the attached grading rubric.
- Each section of the scope template is fully completed
- The scope of the project is accurately carried forward from Week 2
- Your WBS entries are deliverables that follow the adjective / noun format
- You have 25 – 40 lines, and you follow the best practices outlined in the instructor perspective materials
- Your Preliminary Estimates Report is professionally formated
- All submissions are free of grammatical errors