planning within organizations provides a plethora of benefits to the
organization including meeting goals specified in the plan and
contributing to the long-term success of an organization. Refer to
Exhibit 8.3: The Strategic Management Process, located in Chapter 8 of
the Management textbook.
this assignment, select either your own organization or one you know
enough about to complete a series of assignments related to strategic
planning for a proposal you would like to implement. The same
organization will be used in the following assignments:
- Strategic Planning: Strategy Map (Topic 4)
- Strategic Planning: Action Plan (Topic 5)
- Strategic Planning: Communication Plan (Topic 7)
- Strategic Planning: Evaluation (Topic 8)
- Strategic Planning: Presentation (Topic 8)
you have selected the organization, identify a strategic goal through
preforming a SWOT analysis within your sphere of influence. For example,
if you are not currently in a management or leadership position, it is
acceptable to focus on a more focused area of your organization you are
currently in a position to impact. If you are a classroom teacher,
perhaps you see opportunities for improving access to technology in your
district. If you are a nurse, perhaps you see opportunities to improve
communication processes in your department, etc.
SWOT analysis is part of strategy formulation that leads to goal
setting and then progresses to the development of a strategic plan. Be
sure to follow the criteria for effective goals as illustrated to
Exhibit 7.5, located in Chapter 7 of the Management textbook.
a SWOT analysis using the “SWOT Analysis” template. Consider the
following guiding questions as you complete the SWOT Analysis:
- What are the recognized strengths of your identified area?
- What does your identified area do better than other companies?
- What unique capabilities or resources does you identified area possess?
- What do other companies consider to be your strength?
- What are the recognized weaknesses of your identified area?
- What do competitors do better than your identified area?
- What areas can be improved at your current position?
- What do other companies consider to be your weakness?
- What trends or conditions impact the company in a positive way?
- What opportunities exist for the identified area?
- What trends or conditions impact the identified area in a negative way?
- What is the competition doing that may have an impact on your identified area?
- Does your identified area have solid financial support?
- What impact does your weakness have on the threats your identified area faces?
questions are samples of what you may need to address in your SWOT
Analysis. Using the SWOT analysis results, develop at least one
strategic goal. Submit both the completed SWOT analysis document and the
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning
the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.