- Choose a current issue in the news right now or a current issue in your major, and compose an extended argumentative paragraph (no more than 500 words) in which you make as many informal fallacies as you can. Do not use religion, gay marriage or abortion. A minimum of FIVE fallacies are required, though the more you make, the better you may do on this assignment. Do not identify the fallacies, as your peers will be doing that in Part II.
To recap, this assignment asks you to engage with an issue in the wrong way, to not use effective critical reasoning with regards to your subject, but to use critical reasoning with regards to illustrating that you fully comprehend a minimum of five fallacies. The goal is to think deeply about the fallacies as you study and apply them, then to never use them again! Actually, you will want to recognize and avoid them. Have fun, but make sure you are making the specific informal fallacies in the previous slide presentation.
- Extended paragraph post must be in correct MLA format and style.
- Place your word count at the end of the paper in parenthesis.
- You must post before you can see anyone else’s post.
- You may edit as you receive feedback, so if you wait too long to post, you will probably not receive helpful feedback in time to do so.