- Read the guidelines on the term paper carefully
- Write in a concise and specific way
- Remember to provide citations and references
- Proofread the writing for any errors before the submission
PLM or SCM implementation case study
Using an Internet search engine or the library, research a manufacturing company that has successfully implemented either PLM or SCM. Write a paper that focuses on the following:
- Did the company have a PDM (in the case of PLM) or an ERP (in the case of SCM) system prior to the implementation? Briefly describe it. Explain why they felt a need to replace it.
- How does the company quantify the benefits of having a PLM/SCM system?
- How does the company measure success?
- What were successes and lessons learned?
- What is the system design architecture? Here we are looking for fairly simple categories e.g., Mainframe, Client Server, Cloud-based, SaaS, etc. Keep this to a couple of sentences.
- What implementation procedures/ were used? What life cycle model, if any, was used to determine when to update/replace these systems?
The target company for this paper should ideally have its own manufacturing and product development functional organizations, such as Dell, Johnson Controls, or Caterpillar; it does not need to be very large but should have either complex products (PLM) or a complex supply chain (SCM). If you do not keep to this requirement you may find it hard to identify savings or other success factors. You may use a company that you are familiar with.
You can either choose a company that has purchased a PDM/ERP or developed its own capability.
The page limit for this study report is 2 pages with a font size of 11 points, single-spaced; this includes charts and pictures, but excludes the references which should be on a third page.