Assignment 2: Investigate a Social Issue
Consider a social issue in which you are interested. It could be human freedom, sexuality, deviance, crime, social mobility, poverty, education, aging, and similar issues. Select a specific social issue to investigate in this assignment.
Write a 700-1000 word (2.5 to 3.5 page) report in which you:
- Describe the social issue in which you are interested. Be specific.
- Describe how your issue fits into the field of sociology. Which sociological theories and terminology from the text apply to your social issue?
- Discuss what is known and unknown about your particular issue.
- Discuss the value of sociological research into your issue. Are there (or would there be) practical implications of sociological inquiry?
- Use three credible sources and APA citations where appropriate. Use the checklist below to verify you meet all of the specifications of this criterion.
- Identifies at least 3 credible sources: For our purposes, credible sources are your Sociology manual and those credible sources that have been fact-checked and may be found in sociological sources of more popular materials like the New York Times, Times, Newsweek, Society, Psychology Today and the like. If you are unsure, check with your professor if the source you are considering may be used. Note: Do not use the online encyclopedia “WIKIPEDIA” as a source for any work you do in this class.
- Sources are given in the Reference section in correct APA format. Use correct APA reference format. Partial credit will be given if references are close.
- All sources in the Reference section are cited somewhere in the body of the paper using correct APA format.Use correct APA citations for all references. Partial credit will be given if citations are close within one or two errors. No credit will be given if the citation has more than three errors and is not cited within the body of the paper.
- For all citations, there is a clear link between text, citation and reference. Sources provide relevancy to your topic. Relevancy means there is a clear and direct link of the article or source to the report text, citations and references.
- Integrate all sources into your paper using proper techniques of quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing, along with your in-text citations.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.