iBook Readings: Knowledge Section
Open the iBook in the application, and read the “Knowledge” section.
This section covers the readings: 1) The Other Jesus 2) The Messiah 3) Each and All 4) The Age of Reason.
For each of those readings, answer the following comprehension questions. Keep a running word document and submit all the questions at once when you are finished with all of the readings and all of the questions.
The Other Jesus
- What religion(s) perceive Jesus as a human prophet?
- What is the most disagreed upon aspect concerning who Jesus was?
- What do Muslims believe about Jesus? How do their beliefs differ from Christianity?
- How is the life of Jesus and Buddha similar and how are they different?
- What does Hinduism believe about Jesus? How do their beliefs differ from Christianity?
- How does the text define what a messiah is?
- What is the significance of the ghost dances?
- The American Indian prophecies about a “new world” entailed what?
- Is the historical context of “The Messiah” modern or ancient?
- Why is Black Elk critical of the prophecies and ghost dances?
Each and All
- Emerson’s transcendental philosophy celebrates what aspects of the American spirit?
- Define an analogy?
- What aspects of the poem celebrate nature?
- Define “transcend” from the poem
- Who was Napoleon and why is he mentioned in the poem?
The Age of Reason
- What is Revelation? How had the term been misconstrued in this context?
- What different forms of Christianity are represented in the poem? Know them!
- According to Thomas Paine, what should religion be founded upon?
- What church does Thomas Paine belong to?
- According to Paine, how can humanity discover God?