Part one: Content Review
Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and between 2–3 paragraphs in length. Use MS Word to write your responses and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document. Copy and paste each question into the document, so your Instructor can see which questions you are answering.
- Identify three aspects of physical development that happen during middle childhood and explain how each differs in a 6-year-old versus a 12-year-old.
- Identify three aspects of cognitive development that happen during middle childhood and explain how each differs in a 6-year-old versus a 12-year-old.
- Recall Bronfenbrenner’s ecological theory from Week 1 (also see Chapter 2 of your course text, if necessary). Choose one specific aspect of physical development and one specific aspect of cognitive development during middle childhood. Explain these two aspects in terms of Bronfenbrenner’s theory – how, specifically, might development of these aspects be influenced by factors within the micro-, meso-, exo-, and macrosystems?
Part two: Brain and Cognitive Development
Moreover, these physical and cognitive changes often are interrelated, with physical aspects influencing cognitive aspects, and vice versa. In this Discussion, you will consider the relationship between brain development and cognitive development. Reflect on the following:
- How would you describe the link between brain development and cognitive development in middle childhood? You may base your response on the perspective of your choice—Piagetian, sociocultural (Vygotsky), or information-processing.
- How does brain maturation influence the development of thinking, reasoning, and other cognitive abilities in middle childhood? How might changes in cognitive abilities affect the way the brain develops?
- How might knowledge of brain development patterns be used to enhance cognitive development in children?
With these thoughts in mind, follow the instructions below to post your response to this Discussion topic.
Write an analysis of what you perceive to be the relationship between brain and cognitive development in middle childhood. Identify the theory around which your ideas are based and explain specific links between brain development and milestones proposed by this theory. Be sure to use the Learning Resources to support your response.
Part three: Comparing Theories of Development
As you learned this week, issues related to health and well-being assume great importance during middle childhood. The habits and practices that children adopt during this period can have profound effects on their physical and mental health and development for years to come. Thus, understanding how concepts including physical activity, play, exercise, sports, nutrition, and body status factor into the lives of children is critical toward optimizing their outcomes across all domains—physical, cognitive, affective, and social.
Imagine that you have been asked to deliver a presentation to a group of your peers on how to promote health and well-being in children during middle childhood. What strategies, methods, or activities might you recommend to achieve this goal? Why do you think these would be effective?
Based on knowledge gained from the Learning Resources this week, create a 6- to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation that identifies and explains specific strategies, methods, or activities for the promotion of health and well-being in middle childhood. Be sure to explain how and why each strategy, method, or activity would help optimize a child’s development across one or more domains. Please answer all parts and questions separate.