Assignment Preparation: Nature or Nurture?
You will use the following research to complete u04a1, Race and IQ.
Arthur Robert Jensen, Professor Emeritus of educational psychology at the University of California, Berkeley, is known for his work on how and why individuals differ, behaviorally, from one another. In the nature-versus-nurture debate, Jensen is a major proponent of the hereditarian position, which concludes genetics play a significant role in behavioral traits and intelligence.
Jensen’s most controversial work was published in 1969 in the Harvard Educational Review. It was titled “How Much Can We Boost IQ and Scholastic Achievement?” Among other things, Jensen concluded that “racial differences in average IQ scores are not due to any ‘culture unfairness’ intrinsic to the tests” (Intelltheory.com, 2013). The work ignited a firestorm of controversy and became one of the most contentious papers in the history of intelligence research.
Locate at least two scholarly articles about the controversy surrounding intelligence and race. Choose one article that supports the racial difference position and one that opposes it.
Intelltheory.com. (2013). Human intelligence: Arthur Jensen. Retrieved from http://www.intelltheory.com/jensen.shtml
Official Assignment Below:
Race and IQ
After carefully reading the article, prepare a 3–5 page paper about the controversy that began when Arthur Jensen published an article about racial differences in intelligence. Present both sides of the argument, then analyze which side has the stronger position. Find at least one other scholarly article to support your argument.
In your paper:
- Describe what factors that intelligence tests measure.
- Explain the differences indicated when the terms “nature versus nurture” are used.
- Analyze the controversy over using the same intelligence test to compare different cultural groups, and support your analysis with information from professional and scholarly sources.
You do not need an index or abstract for this paper. Use the APA Style Paper Template linked in the Resources.
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to APA (6th Edition) guidelines.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
You are required to submit your paper to Turnitin. Once you review your results and make any needed changes, submit your paper for grading.
My notes to you:
* No Plagarism
*APA STYLE 6th Edition (Attached will be template on how the the paper needs to look like)
* If you have any other questions, please fee to let me know.