Application: Paper on Amnesia or Nature vs. Nurture Controversy
For this week’s Assignment, you write a paper on one of the three topics listed below. The first two topics deal with different types and causes of amnesia. The last topic involves analyzing the nature versus nurture controversy and proposing one resolution to this debate.
Select one of the following topics and write a 5-page paper. Your paper must follow APA guidelines including proper citations of references:
- Amnesia due to emotional trauma:
There is scientific consensus that amnesia can be caused by head trauma and other organic causes. More controversial is amnesia caused by emotional trauma. There is little or no experimental evidence for the psychodynamic mechanism of repression. Yet movies portray this as a common event. Do you believe that amnesia can be caused by emotional trauma? What possible underlying mechanism would explain this phenomenon in neurologic terms? What doubts are cast by researches on the validity of psychological amnesia? You must address both the pros and cons of this issue and demonstrate critical thinking, not just advocating one position over the other. Support your paper using the current literature. You may wish to refer to this week’s optional learning resources as a starting point.
- Amnesia in Korsakoff’s syndrome:
Compare and contrast the amnesia associated with bilateral medial-temporal lobectomy and that associated with Korsakoff ’s syndrome. Support your paper using the current literature.
- Nature vs. Nurture Controversy:
Critically evaluate the nature versus nurture controversy and formulate one resolution to this debate. Use examples related to the topics covered in Weeks 4, through 6 in support of your evaluation.
- In Exploratorium: The Museum of Science, Art, and Human Perception. (2011). Seeing. Retrieved from http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/seeing/
- Purves-Lab . (2005). See for yourself. Retrieved from http://www.purveslab.net/seeforyourself/
- Sinauer Associates, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Sound transduction. Available fromhttps://www.bn8e.com/
- Sinauer Associates, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Visual pathways in the human brain. Available fromhttps://www.bn8e.com/
- Sinauer Associates, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Receptive fields in the retina. Available fromhttps://www.bn8e.com/