PLSC 200 Written Question Study Guide- Exam #3
Four (4) of the following questions will be the short answer responses on Exam #1. It is an open
not exam and you may prepare notes on all of the questions. Answers will need to be a
minimum of 200 words per short answer response.
1. What is Gerrymandering and how is it been used to create “safe seats” for Republican or
2. Define each of the following House Leaders, (1) How they are selected and (2) the tasks they
perform: Speaker of the House, Majority and Minority Leader, Party Whip, and Committee
Chair, Sub-Committee Chair.
3. How is the Chairman of a committee selected? How is a member assigned to a committee?
What influences a member’s desire to be placed on a certain committee assignment?
4. Define and differentiate the roles a member of Congress may play: Delegate, Trustee,
1. Describe the evolutionary increase in power of the president. What events have helped to
shape the powers of the Modern Presidency?
2. Define and outline the support given to the president through the Executive Office of the
President. What agencies are and leaders are found in this “office.”
3. Evaluate the following: “The President’s list of powers is not very impressive except possibly
his role as Commander in Chief. Rather the greatest source of presidential power is to be
found in politics and public opinion.” The power of persuasion. (Nuestadt).
1. Define and cite an example of the four types of administrative agencies, Cabinet, Independent
Executive Agency, Independent Regulatory Agency, Government Corporation.
2. Name a current Independent Executive Agencies and define its role in implementing policy?
3. Why were Independent Regulatory Agencies created? How does the theory of a “body of experts”
influence their structure, power and significance? Name a current Independent Regulatory
Agencies and discuss its power and actions
4. Oversight- How does the Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branches exercise oversight over the
Interest Groups-Public Policy
1. Understand how Interest Groups influence the Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branches. Cite
examples of influence is used to persuade members of each Branch.- Example-You are the
National Rifle Association (NRA) or the American Association of Retired People (AARP). How
would you influence the Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branches to create policy favoring